Please see the U.S. Embassy Dakar’s COVID-19 page for additional information
Last updated: 04/22/2022
*** Effective December 6, 2021, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older, regardless of vaccination status or citizenship, must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within one calendar day of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the United States may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
Exemptions will be considered on an extremely limited basis. Please contact your nearest embassy or consulate to apply for an exemption. Please visit the CDC webpages for more information about exemptions and the requirement for proof of negative COVID-19 test or recovery from COVID-19 for all air passengers arriving in the United States.
- A “State of Alert” is in effect until June 23, 2022.
- Wearing face covering is required in public spaces, including on public transit and while walking on public streets.
- Restaurants, gyms, entertainment venues, and stores are open without restriction.
- Social, cultural, religious, and political events, including rallies and grassroots meetings, are permitted provided social distancing is respected and face coverings are worn.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Guinea-Bissau? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information1.html
- COVID-19 testing, performed for travel purposes, is available at Liceu Agostinho Neto (near the Ministry of Education) and Sede da Uniao Deportive Internacional (known as UDIB) for 30,000 CFA.
- COVID-19 test scheduling and test results are available online at https://gbsive.hispmoz.org/. Note, the website is not available in English.
- Test results are also available via email or physical delivery.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Guinea-Bissau approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- Are vaccines available in Guinea-Bissau for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
- Which vaccines are available in Guinea-Bissau? AstraZeneca
- According to Guinea-Bissau authorities, resident foreigners (including U.S. citizens) are eligible to receive the vaccine as long as they meet other eligibility criteria. Phase I of the vaccine campaign will make the vaccine eligible to healthcare workers and persons with specified comorbidities (Part A) and to adults over age 50 and those who are at a higher risk of exposure through their employment (Part B).
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes.
- Entry and exit into Guinea-Bissau is permitted only with the presentation of a negative COVID-19 test result (done within 72 hours from the start of travel)
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No.
- Passengers who present fever or other symptoms suggestive of COVID-19 will be subjected to a second health screening and, if necessary, to a COVID-19 test, after which they may leave the border post.
- These passengers must remain confined to their destination until they receive the results of the test carried out and additional instructions from the health authorities.
- All passengers on a flight in which a suspected passenger of COVID-19 has been detected will be followed at home by the health authorities for a period of 14 days.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes.
- Is public transportation operating? Yes.
- Public transportation restrictions are in place, such mask wearing and opening windows, and a taxi passenger limit of three passengers.
Fines for Non-Compliance
- Fines range from 50,000 to 2,000,000 CFA for non-compliance of regulations in the decree.
- The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens because there is no U.S. Embassy in Guinea-Bissau.