Event: The U.S. Embassy is monitoring reports of increased public military presence in Bissau following recent political events. U.S. citizens should monitor local media for updates and be aware that unpredictable demonstrations and civil unrest involving violence are possible. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens as there is currently no permanent U.S. diplomatic or consular presence in Guinea-Bissau. The U.S. Embassy has suspended official travel to Guinea-Bissau through at least March 8.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Dakar
+(221) 33-879-4000 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Guinea-Bissau Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook