Eligibility for a CRBA

  1. Eligibility for a CRBA
  2. Transmitting Citizenship
General Information

Please visit the U.S. Department of State site for current and complete information regarding the documentation of children born abroad.

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents are entitled to be documented as U.S. citizens if the citizen parent meets certain transmission requirements laid out in the United States Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The following information will assist you in determining whether or not you are able to transmit citizenship to your child, and will assist you in completing the necessary steps to register your child’s birth and obtain a U.S. passport.

If your child has a potential claim to U.S. citizenship and is still under the age of eighteen, it will be necessary for the U.S. citizen parent to execute an application for a “Consular Report of Birth Abroad” before a consular officer. Both parents must accompany the child to the Consular Section of the US Embassy. You may also apply for your child’s first passport and social security card when you report your child’s birth.

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad is issued to parents following positive adjudication of their child’s claim to United States citizenship. The child’s claim must be adjudicated before a U.S. passport can be issued.

Processing of citizenship claims is done by online appointment only.  Please click here to schedule an online appointment.

For the most up-to-date and complete information on Reports of Birth Abroad please visit the State Department web page on this topic.